Hidemyass is one of the many Virtual Private Networks (VPNs) on offer on the web. VPNs are essentially a private connection that uses a public network (like the Internet) to create a secure network. The can be used on a variety of devices, not just computers (for a blog on the best VPN for android phones, click here). The way that data can be carried across this network happens in a variety of ways. Here we’ll be looking at one particular VPN (Hidemyass ) and the protocols that it uses. Hidemyass (HMA) supports the use of a number of different protocols: IPSec, PPTP, L2TP and OpenVPN protocols. Below we discuss these protocols in a little more detail:
- IP Security (IPSec). IPSec transfers communications securely, and does so by encrypting data two ways: Firstly, through its transport mode, and secondly, through its tunnelling mode. In transport mode it doesn’t encrypt the entire data packet (the data being trafficked via the VPN), but just the part of the packet that is being communicated. In tunnelling mode the whole date packet is encrypted.
- Point-To-Point Tunneling Protocol (PPTP). This uses the internet to connect a remote client to a private server. It’s simple to set up and to keep running smoothly.
- Sockets Layer (SSL) and Transport Layer Security (TLS). SSL and TLS create secure communications like IPSec. However, they use cryptography in the process: The remote client and the server perform a virtual negotiation (known as a ‘handshake’) to determine that the remote client is authorised access to the VPN. This virtual handshake uses encrypted certificates which are share by client and the server. When they match, the client is deemed authentic.
- Layer 2 Tunneling Protocol (L2TP). A L2TP is a protocol used to tunnel data communications between two sites over the Internet. This protocol is often used alongside IPSec to increase the security of the data being transferred. Importantly, L2TP depends on clients and servers using certificates or a shared key for the purposes of authentication.
- OpenVPN. OpenVPN is an open source VPN you can get for free. The protocol used by OpenVPN is a custom mad combination of SSL and TLS protocols.
For more information on the Hidemyass VPN, please click the button below: